Please note our work experience program is currently on hold. Once the program recommences in early 2023 information will be posted here.
Museums of History NSW work experience program for Years 10, 11 and 12 students is designed to provide students with an understanding of what it is like to work in a museum environment and as part of a team.
Work Experience Placements
Examples of placements that may be offered include working with our Visitor Services Teams. Among the duties students will have the opportunity to participate in during a work experience placement with the Visitor Services Teams are:
- Welcoming visitors to the properties
- Ticketing and cloaking
- Preparation and pack down of programs
- Assisting with security
- Participating on tours
- Observation of visitor behaviour
- Administration tasks
- Assisting with opening of the museum to the public
- Answering visitor’s questions and providing directions
Work with Visitor Services Teams
Working with the Visitor Services Teams offers students the opportunity to work at least three heritage sites during a week-long placement.
Limited opportunities are also available to work with our Collections and Curatorial staff. Students will have the chance to see how the many and varied elements of museum work come together to create the exhibitions and programs enjoyed by the public. Some of the tasks students will have the opportunity to undertake include:
- Learning how collections are stored and recorded
- Attending project team meetings
- Administration tasks
- Assisting with research
- Helping with equipment checks
- Assisting historical projects
Work with Collections and Curatorial
Work experience with the Collections and Curatorial staff will be offered as part of a weeks’ placement with the remainder of the week being shared across sites with the Visitor Services Teams.
Each placement is limited to one week (five days Monday to Friday) working 10.00am to 3.30pm each day.
In the interests of fairness only one successful applicant per school will be considered and possibly offered a one week placement, excluding school and public holidays.
All applications for work experience are subject to the availability of the Team/Properties to accommodate students at the time requested.
All applications needs to consist of the following:
- A completed Request for Work Experience Placement form
- A statement outlining why you have applied for a work experience placement with Museums of History NSW and what you hope to achieved during this time
- A brief resume including your personal details, and any relevant skill, interests, hobbies etc
- A copy of your school placement record form.
Students with special needs
Museums of History NSW accepts students with special needs as long as support is available and students are suitable for particular Museums of History NSW work sites. Please contact the Recruitment & Training Officer to discuss necessary arrangements.
Recruitment & Training Officer
Phone: +61 2 8239 2351