State Archives collection

Government Printing Office; NRS 4481, Glass negatives. NRS-4481-3-[7/15883]-M2439 | Government Printing Office 1 - 30700 - Supreme Court, King and Elizabeth Streets, Sydney [From NSW Government Printer series: City Views]
30 August, 10.30am
Online talk

'Equitable Relief': Equity Court records in the State Archives Collection

This webinar will explore records of the Equity Division of the Supreme Court, how to find them, and what they can tell you.

A crowd watches a man speak from a podium that is decorated with the union jack to
On This Day

13 May 1932 - Premier Jack Lang dismissed

On this day 13 May 1932 the NSW Premier, Jack Lang, was dismissed from office by NSW Governor Sir Philip Game

Men in work aprons stand in a workshop surrounded by tables stacked with large books
On This Day

14 Dec 1840 - Government Printer appointed

John Kitchen was appointed as the first government printer in the newly established Government Printing Office

On This Day

14 Jan 1812 - first public water mill

On 14 January 1812 Governor Macquarie opened the first public water mill in the Colony

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Collection/Census%20and%20Musters/1828-Census-volumes-1.jpg

1828 Census

Browse the digitised alphabetical returns. This was the first official census undertaken by NSW and covers some 36,500 inhabitants, both convict and free

Entry from the 1828 census

1828 Census - extended webinar

Learn about the 1828 Census and why it was so significant. It has recently been added to the UNESCO Australian Memory of the World Register

On This Day

19 Jan 1932 - first train across Sydney Harbour Bridge

On 19 January 1932 the first train crossed the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Boys in nautical uniforms sit a long benches on the top deck of a ship and a man at a blackboard stands in the centre near the mast
On This Day

20 May 1867 - Vernon nautical school admissions

On 20 May 1867 applications for admission to the nautical school-ship, the Vernon, commenced. The Vernon was purchased by the Colonial Secretary in January 1867 & moored in Sydney Harbour